Discover the ancient wonders during the Classic Sri Lanka Tour; including historical monuments, fortresses; religious sites and palm-fringed beaches. Start your journey in Colombo, Sri Lanka's Capital. Continue to Dambulla, famous for its lion rock of Sigiriya. Continue to Kandy were traditions remain undisturbed. The Royal Palace, now known as the “The Temple of the Tooth Relic’’ (of Lord Buddha), situated right beside the Kandy lake, gives a magical beauty to the city. Visit one of Sri Lanka's oldest tea plantation before reaching the famous beaches of Bentota.
Sri Lanka is an island off the southeast coast of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Adam's Bridge used to link Sri Lanka to the Indian mainland. However, it is now submerged due to past violent storms or cyclones.
Ancient Buddhist sites
Ancient Buddhist sites in Sri-Lanka include Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, Dambulla, Panduwasnuwara, and Yapahuwa. All sites contain the remains of a great civilization. It grew through the centuries under the influence of Buddhism, a gentle faith still preserved in Sri Lanka in its purest form.
At a glance
|Day 1||Arrival at Colombo Airport. Meet and transfer to your hotel|
|Day 2||Travel to Dambulla. Afternoon tour to the Minneriya National Park|
|Day 3||Full day tour to famous Rock of Sigiriya and Polonnaruwa.|
|Day 4||After breakfast travel to Kandy with a stop at a spice Garden|
|Day 5||Visit the oldest tea plantation in Sri Lanka. Travel to Bentota|
|Day 6||Bentota: free day to enjoy the beach|
|Day 7||Services end with transfer to the Airport for onward flight|
- Visit the Minneriya National Park, sitting aside an ancient rainwater reservoir, attracting hundreds of thirsty elephants, and other wildlife
- Climb Sigiriya, the marvelous rock fortress of Sigiriya - a rare jewel among the many treasures in Sri Lanka
- Wander through Polonnaruwa – A ‘World Heritage Site’
- Explore the Matale spice gardens, the best on the island
- Take in a unique experience at the Geragama, the oldest tea plantations in Sri Lanka
- Relax on the Beaches of Bentota
Arrival in Sri Lanka - Colombo
- Welcome to Sri Lanka!
- Arrival at Colombo Airport. You are met by our driver/guide and airport staff and offer assistance.
- Colombo is Sri Lanka’s commercial capital and a major port. It is a fine amalgamation of all the hues and cultures within this paradise isle. This chic metropolitan that accommodates skyscrapers, sandy beaches and a collage of markets and gardens, brings together the many facets of this island nation. If you are on a tight schedule, you would definitely appreciate the many opportunities Colombo offers for fine dining and shopping, not to mention the overarching beauty of the city’s rapidly developing landscape; a perfect combination of well-preserved colonial architecture and urbanity. You will be amazed by the many cultural and historical wonders located within locales such as Fort and Cinnamon Gardens. The bustling market streets of Pettaha also make up for an interesting place of visit.
Colombo - Dambulla - Minneriya (B)
- After breakfast, travel to Dambulla and check-in at your hotel
- Once refreshed, you are taken to Minneriya for an afternoon safari game drive
- Minneriya National park- located in the North Central Province of Sri Lanka, was designated as a national park on 12 August 1997. Located in the center of the cultural triangle, Minneriya is a good alternative to the busier parks in the south and it's easy to weave in a day here between visiting the ancient cities. The dry season, preferably from June to September, is the best time to visit the park when the ancient tank, the lake that dominates the area, dries out and the grasses and shoots push through. During this time, it is possible to see herds of up to 150 elephants feeding and washing, as well as toque macaques, sambar deer and leopards.
- Return to your hotel in Dambulla for overnight
Visit Sigiriya and Polonnaruwa (B)
- After breakfast, travel to Sigiriya for a climb up the Rock Fortress.
- Sigiriya -The marvelous rock fortress of Sigiriya is a rare jewel among the many treasures in Sri Lanka.
- The site was the domain of King Kashyapa whose aim was to build an impregnable fortress and within it, a heavenly abode. Rising over the dry plains of the Dambulla district, the tough climb up this flat-topped monadnock ends with the most scenic bird’s-eye view of the emerald plains and leafy villages below. The skeletal layout of the ancient city within the fortress marvels its observers with the grandeur and complexity of the 5th-century urban-planning of Sri Lanka. On the way to the top one can observe the famous Sigiriya frescoes of the buxom, wasp-waisted maidens bearing flowers, amidst the wilderness and ancient ruins. The smoothly glazed ‘Mirror Wall’ located a few steps away has sealed the expressions of ancient visitors, inspired by the vibrant frescoes.
- Onwards to Polonnaruwa including a city tour in Polonnaruwa ancient city.
- Polonnaruwa – A ‘World Heritage Site’, Polonnaruwa was the medieval capital of Sri Lanka from the 11th to the 13th century AD. A great revival was achieved in the country, politically, economically and socially during the periods of kings Vijayabahu 1, Parakramabahu 1 and Nissankamalla. The monuments here are better preserved than at Anuradhapura - the previous capital. Parakrama statue, royal palaces, audience halls, Vata-da-ge, Thuparama, Rankoth Vehera, Kiri Vehera, Gal Vihara, Lankathilaka & Thivanka Image House are some of the interesting monuments here.
- Overnight stay at hotel in Dambulla.
- Meet and assist on arrival and departure by our local representative
- Transfer and intercity transportation as per itinerary in AC vehicle
- 6 Nights’ Accommodation at selected hotels in a double room sharing
- Meals: as mentioned
- Local English-speaking Chauffeur Guide
- International/Domestic flights – Departure & Fuel taxes (Contact us for best airfares)
- Personal expenses, meals and drinks unless otherwise specified
- Travel insurance
- Sri Lanka visa fee
- Optional tours – local Guide and Entrance fees
- Services not stated in the itinerary
- Rate valid for travel between 01 OCT and 14 DEC 21
Contact us for any other travel date required
Sri Lanka cuisine
Sri Lankan standard foods are spicy and approach the curries with caution. Many vegetables, fruits, meats and seafood are also on offer. Continental, Chinese, Indian and Japanese menus are available in Colombo and other touristic places. The specialty is a basic curry made with coconut milk, sliced onion, green chilies, aromatic spices such as cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon, saffron and aromatic leaves.
Why is Sri Lanka unique?
It is without a doubt one of the most scenic places on the planet well worth a visit. It’s world-renowned for thick, tropical jungles, tea gardens, elephant orphanage, perfect beaches and an entire calendar of colorful festivals.
The Classic Sri Lanka Tour is probably the oldest and most traveled tour. But it is still one of the most popular tours for many visitors to the country. The Classic Tour is an extremely interesting 6 nights and 7 days journey visiting among others: Ancient Cities, Cultural Sites, Scenic Routes and Wildlife.
Our Classic Tour is a great starting point when planning a trip. Perfect for anyone wanting to combine the country's main cultural and scenic points of interest with a stay on the beach.