What a perfect and compact tour to explore Kerala, India’s southern paradise. No doubt, Cochin with its narrow lanes, old building, this coastal town is the best starting point for your tour.
At a glance
Day 1 Arrive Cochin. Afternoon City tour
Day 2 Transfer to Munnar Hill Station
Day 3 Munnar at leisure
Day 4 Leave for Periyar National Park
Day 5 Onwards to Kumarakom
Day 6 Kumarakom at leisure
Day 7 Board Houseboat in Alleppey
Day 8 Return to Cochin Airport.
What a perfect and compact tour to explore Kerala, India’s southern paradise. No doubt, Cochin with its narrow lanes, old building, this coastal town is the best starting point for your tour. Besides misty laden hill stations (Munnar), exotic wildlife (Periyar) and lively backwaters (Kumarakom), will thrill every visitor. Situated along the shores of the Indian Ocean and the spice growing Cardamom Hills to the east, Kerala is by far the most beautiful and fertile part in India. Admittedly, a highlight of your tour will be an overnight stay onboard the houseboat in Alleppey.
Munnar Hill Station
Located 1,524 meters above sea-level. Munnar’s cool climate provides a welcome relief from the heat of the plains. Carpets of tea plantations (Camellia Sinensis) cover the surrounding hills. This makes them one of the world’s highest plantations.
Between the hills and coast are the lush backwaters, a network of waterways providing fish for food, water for farming and a communication route for local villagers.
As a result of its outstanding network of canals, lakes, lagoons and estuaries, it is the perfect place to enjoy nature. The backwaters play a major role in helping it earn international fame. The peaceful and blissful blue backwaters promise to make your stay so treasured that it will stay engraved in your mind forever.
Palm trees, pandanus shrubs, leafy plants and bushes fringing the backwaters leave the onlookers captivated.
The backwater cruise represents beauty, excitement, fun and pleasure. Indeed, cruising across the waters on a traditional houseboat is like slipping slowly into a heavenly dream.
The traditional Houseboats, also called Kettuvallams, come in various sizes and are equipped with modern comforts and fitted in traditional Kerala style. They provide the best ways of exploring the treasured beauty of Kerala. Kettuvallams are built of bamboo poles and mats, coconut fiber, ropes and carpets and are therefore eco-friendly. It has one or two bedrooms rooms and a small sitting room. The food onboard consists of local Kerala dishes giving you a real taste of Kerala cuisine.
The spellbinding backwaters of Kerala also attract beautiful birds. Terns, kingfisher, darters and cormorants to mention a few. All in all, a perfect paradise for the birdwatcher
- You will be met by our representative for transfer to the hotel for check-in.
- Afternoon sightseeing of Cochin; a city till today influenced by medieval Portugal; Holland and England.
- Visit St. Francis Church; built-in 1503 by Portuguese Franciscan friars where Vasco da Gama was buried for 14 years before his remains were transferred to Lisbon. His tombstone still stands.
- Nearby is the Mattancherry Palace or Dutch Palace. The central hall on the 1st floor was the coronation hall of the Rajas of Cochin. Other rooms depict scenes from the Ramayana and Puranic legends connected with Hindu gods.
- Amazing are the Chinese fishing nets. These cantilevered fishing nets line the entrance to the harbor mouth. They were introduced by traders from the courts of Kublai Khan.
- You also see the Jew City with the Jewish Synagogue; constructed in 1568; with hand-painted; willow-pattern floor tiles brought from Canton in the mid-18th century.
Cochin – Munnar (B)
- In the morning; check out of your hotel and drive to Munnar (5 hrs).
- One of the most popular hill stations in India; Munnar is situated at the confluence of three Mountain streams – Mudrapuhza; Nallathanni and Kundala.
- Remainder of the day at your leisure.
- Full day at leisure to explore the hill station. Munnar town is located 5200 ft above sea level.
- The Sita Devi Lake; Mattupetty Lake and Kundala Lake are memorable spots renowned for their Scenic beauty.
- Eravikulam National Park is a rare wild garden of rolling grasslands and evergreen tropical forests.
- Anamudi; the tallest peak in south India is located here.
- Top station is a picturesque place with laterite; rocky mountains. Where the rare Neelakurinji flowers (which flower once in 12 years) are seen.
- Devikulam; Rajamalai; Pallivasal are other interesting places.
- Meet and assist on arrival and departure by our local representative
- Sightseeing tours and intercity transfers as per itinerary in AC vehicle
- 7 Nights’ Accommodation (3*- 4*- 5*) in a double room sharing
- Meals: as mentioned
- Local English Speaking Guide
- International/Domestic flights – Departure & Fuel taxes (Contact us for best airfares)
- Personal expenses, meals and drinks unless otherwise specified
- Travel insurance
- India visa fee
- Entrance fees
- Services not stated in the itinerary
- Rate valid for travel between 01 APR and 30 SEP 2018
- Seasonal supplements may be applicable